Projects

Building Project

The building that currently houses the club rooms of ‘O Kolokotronis’ at 570 Victoria St North Melbourne was originally built in 1914. The building was originally a movie theatre and was later used as the head office of the Locomotive Association of Victoria; you may have noticed the train figurine sitting on the roofline. During this time the rooms were refurbished to accommodate offices, as such many of the original period features were lost or hidden.

In 2010 the Committee restored the smaller function room on level 1 replacing the period features including the pressed metal ceiling and is now in the process of restoring the main function room on level 2. The removal of the false ceiling on level 2 revealed the pressed metal ceiling, unfortunately it was quite damaged. Any pieces that were not damaged were kept and the remainder replaced with a replica of the original ceiling. The ceiling has all of a sudden gone from 2.4 m to 5.1 m. Even unfurnished it looks amazing!

The project commenced on April 2012 and is expected to be complete by the end of November 2012.

Once these works have been completed work will commence on the refurbishment of the office and storeroom on level 1.

Building Project Slide Show